A new commandment I give unto you: That you love one another, as I have loved you, that you also love one another. (35) By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one for another. John 13:34-35 DRB
God (Jesus) died in the place of man because EACH MAN is a god, just like God the Father and Jesus who is YHWH Elohim. That is the teaching in the Scriptures. YHWH Himself reaffirmed our divinity when He became flesh! About the divinity of man, Jesus added that the Scriptures cannot be broken. So, we are gods, because we are made at Their image. Proof in the verses below.
(34) Jesus answered them, Has it not been written in your Law, "I said, you are gods"? Psa. 82:6 (35)
If He called those gods with whom the Word of God was, and the Scripture cannot be broken... John 10:34-35 LITV
Psalms 82:5-7 ASV
(5) They know not, neither do they understand; They walk to and fro in darkness: All the foundations of the earth are shaken.
(6) I said, Ye are gods, And all of you sons of the Most High.
(7) Nevertheless ye shall die like men, And fall like one of the princes.
Luke 22:70-71 ASV
(70) And they all said, Art thou then the Son of God? And he [JESUS] said unto them, Ye say that I am.
(71) And they said, What further need have we of witness? for we ourselves have heard from his own mouth.
(1) Then the whole multitude of them arose and led Him to Pilate. Luke 23:1 EMTV
Exodus 15:3 ASV
(3) Jehovah is a man of war: Jehovah is his name.
1 John 3:1-3 LITV
(1) See what manner of love the Father has given us, that we may be called children of God. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
(2) Beloved, now we are the children of God, and it was not yet revealed what we shall be. But we know that if He is revealed, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is.
(3) And everyone having this hope on Him purifies himself even as that One is pure
Note: YAHWEH ELOHIM (who was made flesh and known as YHOSHUA in Hebrew or JESUS in English among men) took the shape of man, before He became flesh, when He hung out with Abraham. Read the story of Abraham in Moses.
Can your HEART grasp or understand this truth which you never heard of?
Now, you MAY come to understand that when we help the needy in any way, we help Jesus, because the needy is also the image of God the Father and His image, hence, a god in need.
Because of our kin affiliation with BOTH YAHWEH God and God the Father, we must strive to represent THEM in any situation:
"1 Peter 2:9-10 EMTV
(9) But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellent virtues of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; (10) who formerly were not a people but now are the people of God, who had not received mercy, but now have received mercy."